Sunday, 18 July 2010

Brimstage Hall

Standing at what appears to be the geographical centre of Wirral is Brimstage Hall which retains many of its original medieval features. The original hall was built within a fortified area with a moat and embankment and the hall itself dates from between 1175 and 1350, the oldest part being the tower house. The first recorded occupant was Sir Hugh Hulse and his wife Marjorie who were granted the right to build the Chapel on 11th February 1398, but the original structure was already in existence.

Further parts of the hall were added in the 16th and 19th centuries.  The courtyard now contains a magnificent willow tree.

The Hall has been converted to house craft shops and businesses in its main courtyard and is seen as an important local landmark.

No comments:

Post a Comment